[Dixielandjazz] Maybe good music is coming back?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 5 07:17:13 PDT 2010

My wife while perusing the "Styles" section of the Sunday New York
Times, said; "Say here's a picture of Drew Nugent, haven't you played
in his band a few times?" "Yes every once in a while", I replied, "but
he's trying to keep his sidemen young since he goes after the young
audience."

I looked at the article and lo and behold, there on page 14 of the NYT
Styles section is a half page, with 19 color photos, of a 2 day dance
party on Governors Island featuring Michael Arenbella and his
Dreamland Orchestra (specializes in 1920-30s dance music) and Drew
Nugent and his Midnight Society which is very similar. The dancers
were doing the Cake Walk. A similar Cake Walk dance party was held in
Newport Rhode Island a Month ago.

The bands and participants at both parties were MOSTLY YOUNG FOLKS IN
THEIR 20s. Many in costume similar to those worn in the 1890s . . .
think Thomas Eakins paintings.

Below that half page, was a quarter page with 9 color photos are party
goers at a couple of adjoining estates in Mt Kisco NY where cabaret
singer Andrea Marcovicci performed a tribute to Johnny Mercer.
The folks were older and presumably wealthier, however the message was
the same. OKOM, American Songbook, good music, etc., is quite viable.

It may just be the beginning of a new trend in men's fashion and
music. I hope so.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband