[Dixielandjazz] "Our Philly Friends" videos

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Sep 3 08:25:33 PDT 2010

CANAL STREET JAZZ BAND with our "PHILLY FRIENDS"

During one of our monthly gigs at the Café Populart in Madrid (August,
2010), the Canal Street Jazz Band played host to friends from the
Philadelphia Pops Orchestra.   They were on their way to a Classical Music
Festival in Santander (Northern Coast), and had a few nights in Madrid.

My good friend, bass trombonist Mike Purdy, came over a few days before the
orchestra, and two other trombonist friends stayed, along with Mike at our
house for 2 nites.  Brian Pastor (leader of  his own big band in
Philadelphia...www.brianpastorbigband.com) and Dave Ciani were the two
trombonists.  We played some great trombone quartet pieces that Mike brought
along (both classical & jazz) in my studio together, as the guys all needed
some "chops time" before their gig with the orchestra.

Since we (Canal Street Jazz Band) had a gig that whole week, various members
of the orchestra dropped in on different nites to have a honk with us.
There were a number of combinations of musicians on stage with us those
nites, and I got some on video which can be seen at the following YouTube
addresses.

Musicians included the aforementioned trombonists Brian Pastor & Dave Ciani,
trumpeter Bob Gravener, Joe Smith on clarinet, bassist Doug Map, and even a
french horn...Adam Lesnick (on Blackbird).  Listen out for the "3 trombones
alone" chorus on Sweet Georgia Brown & again on A Train (Bones version).

The audiences were literrally stunned!  Many have never seen a trombone, let
alone heard 3 together!!  It was a great sonoral thrill for the musicians &
the audience.

Jim

Sweet Georgia Brown:   <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8NfysfHWK4>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8NfysfHWK4