[Dixielandjazz] Bobby Gordon = more on this player

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Thu Sep 2 22:18:32 PDT 2010

JBruno868 at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 9/2/2010 4:50:17 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> rsr at ringwald.com writes:
>
> Someone  asked about Bobby Gordon.  He will be playing at the San Diego
> Festival
>
> Excellent. I haven't heard him play in way to long.
>
> Jazz Hugs
>
> Judie

I first heard Bobby Gordon play when I was working with Freddie Fisher
in Aspen 1959 and he was being mentored by Joe Marsala. Joe broought
himaround tosit in with the baqnd and for a 16-year old he played quite
well - with a definate Marsala influence at the time. He has since
developed his own voice on the clarinet, and willworth going to hear any
time he's on the bill.
But time to time I still hear a bit of Joe sneakign in for a phrase or
two, and that's a tribute to anolf pro who took time to work and mentor
a youngster, just as Red Nicholks was my mentor when I was 12. All we
older players need to pass it on - or what ever we might have to
contribute will be lost.
I am sorry that Bobby never gets up north to the Michigan woods "I call
home now, or I'd drop my fly rod and head for his gig  in a flash.
Don Ingle