[Dixielandjazz] wedding in the U.K.

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Sep 1 01:50:25 PDT 2010

As I mentioned earlier on djml, I was to attend my daughter's wedding in the
U.K. and that Roy Kirby's Paragon Jazz Band was to play the reception.

Well, that all took place as planned on August 6th at Berkely Castle in
Gloucester.  My wife & I were originally looking into Irish music for the
reception due to the large group of Irish relatives that would be there, but
my daughter contacted this particular band, which was a nice surprise for
me.

Roy plays banjo, and had a clarinet/sax player, a trombonist, and a keyboard
player.  They were situated outside the castle walls when we all arrived for
cocktails, croquet, and chatter on the castle lawns.  All very Brriiitish!

At one point, the trombonist (name now slips me) gave up his horn and played
tuba so I could put in my mouthpiece for a quick number....Running Wild!  If
anyone on djml happens to see anyone in that band, say hello for me.  The
band was particularly successful for the reception, adding a pleasant
background.

After a sit down meal in the 1,000 yr old dining room, a London based 1980's
style band took over (Fake Tan).  They were loud, but excellent...both as
musicians & showmen.  Not a single person remained in their chairs for the
rest of the evening.

My daughter, Aisling, was wonderfully relaxed throughout what could have
been a nervous walk up the aisle.  The Catholic priest, in a very successful
attempt at tolerance (something badly needed in this world today!) invited
anyone up for a blessing (whatever their belief) during Holy Communion.  I
have never seen my daughter so radiant!  Still brings tears to my eyes.  All
5 of my children descended on England from all parts of the world, as did
many other relatives.  The unusually good weather was even a blessing that
day!

Jim