[Dixielandjazz] Dorado Schmitt at Birdland

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 29 16:30:46 PDT 2010

On Oct 29, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Bill Haesler wrote:

> Stephen G Barbone provided two YouTube clips:
>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a64uyOUw_A&feature=related
>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APUgeMICp9I&feature=related
>
> "OMG!" (as our grandkids say) - they've included a washboard player!
> Django, who probably never saw or heard one, would be spinning in
> his grave.
> And who plays what in the videos?
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.

I don't know that Django was one eyed Bill. <grin> I think he would
have loved these musicians, the washboard and the annual event at
Birdland. After all, he was reportedly one of the first people in
France to dig the music of Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie and I
think it shows in his last recordings. (Dizzy dug Django also)

On Sweet Georgia Brown the musicians, besides Dorado Schmidt on guitar
are:

Dan Levinson Clarinet,  Peter Beets piano, Mayo Hubert rhythm guitar,
Brian Torff, Dbl Bass, David Langlois washboard. Winard Harper is
listed, but I do not see him there. He is a black drummer from NYC.
James Carter is also listed but I don't see him either. He is a black
Saxophone/ flute/ bass clarinet player and cousin of violinist Regina
Carter.

ON Dark Eyes besides Dorado the musicians are:

David Langlois WB, Brian Torff Dbl Bs, Abgelo Debarre guitar, Samson
Schmitt guitar, Ludovic Beier accordian, Pierre Blanchard violin, Lew
Tabakcin, tenor sax, Roger Kellaway piano. The clarinetist, who is not
listed is Ken Peplowski. The drummer also not listed and hard to see,
may be Winard Harper.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband