[Dixielandjazz] Gone with the Wind - almost!

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Fri Oct 29 14:10:13 PDT 2010

Your Far North resident of the big pines of Nothern Michigan is happy to
be back on line.
Outside of aching in places best left undescribed from lugging in loads
of firewood to heat the wood stove, and feeling the looks of other
locals who recognize the lack of soap and water to wash away the soot
and sweat for lack of running water, the Ingles are still alive and
happy to say that the recent wind storms that left us without power to
run our furnace, well, stove, lights, flush john - and worse of all,
CD/DVD players are over.
After two days of night time lows in the below freeing mark, heating a
can of something (not sure what by the light of a candle) for a meal on
the top of the woodburner, and damn near running out of any decent
single malt, the power was restored after 49 hours, two butt- freezing
nights, and a firewood hualing back that says this pioneer lifestyle was
great when I was forty but at just shy of 80 ain't what it used to be.
A large oak at neighbor's house down the block was struck by the force
of a 75 mph wind and broke off, taking down the power line that served
our  street. For that neighbor it was worse, the tree falling atop his
new snazzy sports sedan and making a metallic flapjack out of it.
We just lost one strip of siding trim from our humble abode.
Well, you might say, what does this have to do with OKOM. Simple - the
events reminded me of a great song, thanks to Mr. Mel Torme. "GONE WITH
THE WIND."
Add to that "Singing in the Rain (shower)."  "Baby it's Cold Outside,"
"Old Folks," and
"That's All..." at least we certainly hope so.
Hope all our fellow listees who heard the howling winds in their
neighborhood fared well and safely.
Every so often God sends these little reminders - "I'm still here!"
Thank you Lord, so are we.
Don Ingle