[Dixielandjazz] Free gift for you...

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 29 08:24:41 PDT 2010

On Oct 28, 2010, at 6:04 PM, Steve Heist wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have the swingingest MP3 file - believe it or not a Cole Porter
> song with a trad style band backing it...  After all this song is
> from 1928!  If bands don't start playing this one, it would be a BIG
> waste...
> You just gotta hear this...
> If you can accept a 4.7 meg file, contact me off list.  Let me know
> and I'll send it to you...
> ALL the Very Best
> Steve Heist

Hey Steve

Thanks for the offer. Please send me the mp3. We play a lot of Cole
Porter in Dixieland style now. Our older members played a lot of gigs
with Howard Lanin, Lester's brother who in the decades after WW 2 had
the cream of the Philadelphia Society gig market.

Much of that dance music was Dixieland based American Songbook from
Cole Porter, Gershwin, MacHugh Berlin et al, to the show tunes of
Richard Rogers and the like. The society folks around here learned to
dance to that "businessman's two step. These songs are still VERY
popular with the 40 to 80 year old audience, generally and the 20 to
80 year old society folks.

And so bands like Lester and Howard Lanin's hired quite a few
Dixieland musicians back then to swing the Society folks. And the
Dixielanders like Pee Wee Erwin, Eddie Condon, et al were from time to
time,able to make some serious money at weddings and private parties
as opposed to the peanuts they got from pure jazz gigs.

One of the reason Barbone Street gets more gigs than competing
Dixieland Bands in this area is because we play American Songbook
tunes with a Dixieland style to that market segment. It is music that
the AUDIENCE recognizes and helps build a demand for the band

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband