[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland/Boppers

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Oct 25 23:08:44 PDT 2010

Dear Friends,
In a recent thread, started by Mike Logsdon and taken up by Steve Voce and Steve Barbone, I mentioned finding "some interesting references to the 'Hot versus Cool' recording session (live at Birdland)", Leonard Feather's article and the reference in his 1986 book 'The Jazz Years - earwitness to an era" to the LP.
Never expecting to hear it.
Well, it's happened - again - as it often does.
Mention something and it suddenly appears.
Yesterday, at our regular Monday afternoon 'musician's meeting' at the Balmain Bowling Club, lurking listmate, pianist Adrian Ford, turned up with "Hot Versus Cool" and a companion 10"LP "Blow Hot, Blow Cool" featuring Herbie Fields & His Sextet and The Melrose Avenue Conservatory Chamber Music Society.
More later, when I've listened to both of them.
Kind regards,
Bill.