[Dixielandjazz] Airline travel with violin-- response from Aaron Weinstein

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sat Oct 23 04:03:19 PDT 2010

 To:  DJML

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

I had posted a query about airline travel with violin from Pensacola native
Woody Edwards, now residing in Dallas area.  Thanks to Ginny, Phil Wilking
and Steve Barbone who responded.  Also to  Sandy Gumpert for her anecdote
about travel with tuba.  Woody also wrote privately to young, outstanding
jazz violinist Aaron Weinstein.  Since his expertise and advice was
appropriate, I thought I'd share with this list.  Aaron is only in his 20s
and has appeared on many Arbors Records, especially with the Pizzarelli
family members.  He has one Arbors CD-Handful of Stars-- on which he is the
featured artist. Check him out on the internet and on YOU TUBE.  I'm posting
here, as Aaron and Woody are not DJML participants.

( Hint:  get Aaron  to your festival before he becomes more widely known
and his schedule get's filled , etc.)

Here is Weinstein's response to Woody Edwards:

 With a single violin case, I've never had an issue getting it on the plane.
But, I do whatever I need to do to be on the plane as early as I can because
overhead bin room WILL get used up and if you're walking on the plane after
there's no more overhead room, you really are out of luck.  So, find out how
the airline boards the plane (some board starting in the back of the plane
etc), exit rows are often called right after first class.  If when you check
in you're given a seat that boards in group 15, when you get to your gate,
you walk right up to the gate agent and do whatever you need to to get into
a earlier group--change your seat to the middle or whatever...the fiddle is
most important so sometimes YOU need to be a little uncomfortable to get the
instrument safe from point A to point B.

Hope some of this helps,
Aaron

--End--