[Dixielandjazz] Airline travel with violin-- query

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Fri Oct 22 09:30:58 PDT 2010

The ultimate call on being allowed to board with instruments is that  of
the chief attendant on the particular flight.  It was excellent advice  from
the attendant that an instrument bearer check in with those needing  extra
time to board.

I do not know good travel cases for violins.  I went to great expense  (per
my budget) to purchase a Calton case for my banjo.  I had a fear that  this
would impair my ability to defend it as carry on, but it has not  seemed to
affect the decisions made by airline attendant's one way or the  other.
The amount of overhead storage on the particular plane heavily  effects the
decisions made.

I do think it helps tremendously if the instrument is your only carry  on.
I would expect to have the instrument rejected if I had that plus  maximum
size carry on suitcase for example.

Ginny

In a message dated 10/22/2010 9:22:07 A.M. Central Daylight Time,