[Dixielandjazz] Airline travel with violin-- query

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Fri Oct 22 07:08:49 PDT 2010

To: Musicians and Jazzfans list;  DJML

From: Norman Vickers,  Jazz Society of Pensacola

This query from Woody Edwards, Pensacola and Dallas.  He writes about recent
experience traveling with his violin.  Practical advice is solicited.
Thanks.

I am asking  for advice on traveling with a violin over the airlines.
Whilst my violin is not that expensive I do value it greatly and when I'm
traveling I do my best to take it onboard the aircraft ; however, on a
recent trip they made me surrender my axe to the baggage handlers who
promised to take special care of it.     And they did take care of it from
what I can tell.

I would like your experience with traveling with a violin and more
specifically is there a case which is more airline resistant than others.
When Bucky Pizzarelli played Pensacola Jazz Fest I noticed he had one of the
Schofield(?) cases which I believe is airline tolerable.   I just don't have
funds to purchase an extra ticket for a seat for my fiddle.

Try as I could I just couldn't talk the stewardess into finding a place on
board to stow it.     They told me the cargo hold was temperature controlled
but I don't know that I believe that.   The only advice she could give me
was to check in with those needing extra time to board so I could get ahead
of the rollaboards.    Not sure I'll do that.

--End--