[Dixielandjazz] The Key was B Flat; the Beer Wasn't

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 17 14:56:42 PDT 2010

Spotted this in the "Week in Review" Section of today's NY Times.
Reminded me of the threads about being quiet when the OKOM artists
are performing. Here's an opposite view by classical music artists.
<grin>

Those of us who play in noisy venues, filled with young people, might
agree with principal flautist Joshua Smith. No?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestrteetjazzband

NY Times - October 16

The Key Was B Flat; the Beer Wasn’t

Anyone popping in for a quick beer at the Happy Dog bar in Cleveland
on Wednesday night and expecting the usual fare — polka, country or
indie rock — would have been surprised.
A small contingent of musicians from the Cleveland Orchestra was
playing chamber music on the bar’s small stage, part of an effort to
win new fans for the financially troubled orchestra. Patrons were
encouraged to eat, drink and chat.

“We want people to feel comfortable,” the cellist Charles Bernard told
The Cleveland Plain Dealer. “That’s the whole point.” More shows are
expected. “It’s an incredibly vital art form, and it’s exciting for us
to show people how much fun we’re having,” said the orchestra’s
principal flutist, Joshua Smith.