[Dixielandjazz] Mary Lou Williams and Louis Armstrong

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 14:20:08 PDT 2010

>> sure, but she had a huge impact on Monk, Diz, and Bird.
I don't know whom she did or did not influence, but she initiated a
wonderful LP pairing Dizzy Gillespie with Bobby Hackett - and listen
to the pianist on that one!

> I think many of us tend to dismiss the later influence of Ellington and
> Armstrong too easily.

They sure do.
Armstrong has been accused of playing the same tunes the same way for
years.  Yet - make an experiment: copy several renditions of the same
tune with the same band and from the same period, and see (hear)
whether they are exactly the same!

> What was new with Louis? Well, his vocals, his phrasing etc. Nobody can
> quite match that even today. His improv? Well, we can all diss "Hello Dolly"
> as meaningless pap, but listen to what HE plays on it.  And how he plays it.

And while doing that - try several versions by Armstrong, and see
wheter there are differences!

Cheers