[Dixielandjazz] Benny Watters

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 14:57:43 PDT 2010

Because Watters had lived and played in France for many years, he was
virtually unknown.  I remember a Memphis Slim record with Benny
Watters, and everybody at first thought it was Benny Carter, and then
- very disappointed!
I was only much later that I discovered Watters - in Nice in either
1976 or 1977!  There was that little black saxophonist with sort of
pointed head that gave him a gnomic look (he only started wearing a
hat later), playing his ass off and competing with such as Buddy Tate,
Illinois Jacquet and Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis!
I brought the Watters gospel back to my friends here (one, Sylvain,
unfortunately now afflicted with multiple sclerosis, knew him, but
Sylvain came to Israel from Paris).
Cheers