[Dixielandjazz] Verdi and Valves

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Sun Oct 10 17:34:18 PDT 2010

Marek Boym wrote:

> I don't know what Verdi had to say about valve trombones.
> However, I do know that a lot of information on Wikipedia is
> inaccurate, and often - completely wrong.

Some of what's on Wikipedia may be wrong. The information that Steve Hoog
refers to is correct and accurate.

Verdi like trombones. He liked valve trombones. He disliked the tuba, and
wrote for the cimbasso to cover the bass line in the brass section.

For anyone looking for a cimbasso, Kanstul is now making a 6-piston valve
cimbasso that's being purchased by many of the low brass studio players in
L.A., as they're getting calls for cimbasso players for TV and film scores.

Related OKOM content: Kanstul also makes great tubas, which can be used in
OKOM. One of the best jazz tubas I've played is Howard Miyata's prototype
Kanstul tuba body mated with a Conn 20J/24J bell. Plays like a dream, sounds
wonderful.

Jim O'Briant
Tuba
Gilroy, CA