[Dixielandjazz] Fulsum Prison Blues, But What Came Before

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Oct 9 10:18:52 PDT 2010

Beverly Mahr (aka Maher) and later Beverly Jenkins after marrying Gordon Jenkins
whose band she sang with, recorded "Crescent City Blues" in 1953. This song later
evolved into "Folsom Prison Blues" as recorded by Johnny Cash. Beverly also recorded
an album with Gordon Jenkins called "My Wife the Blues Singer" for Impulse in 1963.
Her name is listed as a backup singer in the chorus on some of the recordings Gordon
Jenkins made with Billie Holiday like "God Bless The Child" and "Somebody's On My
Mind".

Crescent City Blues:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eloMTom-fpI

Picture of album cover of "My Wife The Blues Singer":
http://wax.fm/vinyl-lp-releases/beverly_jenkins_gordon_jenkins_presents_my_wife_blues_singer.html

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/806-9551
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

"Last night my wife met me at the front door. She was wearing a sexy negligee.
The only trouble was, she was coming home."  --Rodney Dangerfield