[Dixielandjazz] National Anthem & "Capitol Fourth" OT, I guess.

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Fri Oct 8 16:00:10 PDT 2010

I found out something very important about the "Capitol Fourth" show
this summer. My band was there to play in the parade earlier in the
day and many of the band members went over to get a seat for the show
later in the afternoon. If you don't get there before 3PM it unlikely
you will find a seat or spot on the grass where you can actually see
the stage (or even the big screen projections.)  I could hear what was
going on, but  that was about it.

Also, I asked some people who had been there many times how the
firework show was from the area we were in - they said it would be
great, as usual. About the time the 1812 overture started I realized I
could not see the Washington Monument because of the tree cover - I
would be missing the entire fireworks! I left the Capital steps and
went down to the mall where all the crowd was, just in time to see the
really well done show. All that would have been seen by the "Capitol
Fourth" audience would be what was on the screen, or a red glow above
the trees.

So keep that in mind if you are ever in Washington DC for the Fourth...

Dave Richoux