[Dixielandjazz] Bing Crosby Alternate Take

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Oct 7 07:49:00 PDT 2010

On another email list, I posted the following:

"""
When I was a kid in the 40s, my grandmother loved Bing Crosby. She thought he was
the finest human being that ever walked the earth.
For a joke, one of her kids bought her a recording that had supposedly been smuggled
out of the studios. As I remember, it was a recording of Bing singing "Wrap Your
Troubles In Dreams."
As Bing was singing, he sang the words, "They left out 8-bars the dirty bastards..."
I can't remember the rest. But my grandma, being very religious, was distraught.
She just couldn't believe that Bing could say a dirty word.
I always wondered if the recording was really smuggled out of the studios or if it
was done on purpose. I remember that the disc was flexible. It must have been a 78.
Anyone know the history of this recording?
"""

Here are two replies from members of the List:

"""
It was a rejected take for Decca, recorded on June 9, 1939. A non-flub version was
issued at the time. Decca often saved and pressed copies of breakdowns and other
flubs for the artists, especially if they were funny. Likely someone from Decca pressed
a copy for his own amusement and it got out to where it was copied and sold "under
the table." There are many other Bing flubs out there, with various curses and blasphemies.
Your grandma would not be happy.
"""

Another reply:

"""
Yes, I once had a copy of it, it was a breakdown on one of the takes, and went like
this:
They cut out eight bars, the dirty bastards
And I didn't know which eight bars they were gonna cut
Somebody (something, something) around here
Holy Christ I'm going off my nut.
"""

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/806-9551
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

"Last night my wife met me at the front door. She was wearing a sexy negligee.
The only trouble was, she was coming home."  --Rodney Dangerfield