[Dixielandjazz] Unashamed Plug: UK Jazz Festival News and new video on YouTube

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 5 07:56:30 PDT 2010

Greetings folks,

Louis Armstrong Celebration Jazz Festival – Our Best Ever!

Back on 10th September, we packed or horns (or in my case, drums) and
headed for the Sussex coast – to Bracklesham Bay, to be precise, to
South Downs Holiday Village for the 11th Louis Armstrong Celebration
Jazz Festival.

Despite the recession, our numbers were more than excellent and we
couldn’t have got more than half a dozen more fans in the ballroom.

 From many of the delighted fans who were there, I’m told this was our
best to date. Surely we can’t keep on raising the mark, but we seem to!

This is thanks in the main, to a rather unique and exceptional bunch of
the finest jazz musicians around anywhere.

Fortunately, I recorded and videoed much of the weekend and I would like
to invite you to have a look and a listen to the opening number of the
very last set, ‘Doctor Jazz’, which featured an unbeatable New Orleans
style line-up. Cuff Billett, Mike Pointon, Trevor Whiting, Martin
Litton, Tim Phillips and Heather Birt.

It was really a gas to provide the drums for this sizzling hot ensemble.
But don’t just take my word for it – watch the video and let me know
what you think.
I’ll be posting more gems from this festival as time permits.
Watch the video here: http://www.youtube.com/v/erN0CRs9-aY

I’ve a great line-up for next year’s festival and I plan to have the
brochure out soon. Meanwhile you can join forty lucky jazzers who have
already booked. The dates are Friday 9th – Monday 12th September 2011.

Prices will be £214 per person but if you book before the end of October
you can claim a free CD from our Rose Records catalogue.

Download the booking form here:
http://www.traditional-jazz.com/mainpages/documents/2011brackleshambookingform.pdf

Meanwhile if you can’t wait until September, why not book for the
William Shakespeare Jazz’n’Swing Forum at the 4 star Holiday Inn Hotel,
Stratford upon Avon from 13th to 15th November. It looks like we will
overtake last year’s really excellent attendance and I only have a
limited number of rooms available (limited day tickets also).
The cost is £214 pp in a twin or double room or £244 single occupancy.
You can download the booking form here:
http://www.traditional-jazz.com/mainpages/documents/2010stratfordbookingform.pdf
You can download the colour flyer here:
http://www.traditional-jazz.com/mainpages/documents/stratford2010brochureammend.pdf
Full details of the programme are here:
http://www.traditional-jazz.com/mainpages/stratford.htm

Moving into Spring, I have the excellent news that the Now You Has Jazz
Jazz Jazz Festival at Pontins Pakefield Holiday Centre is selling well.
The festival runs from Friday 4th to Monday 7th March at the Kessingland
site, near Lowestoft, Suffolk.

We have a real treat – world famous clarinet star, Sammy Rimington, Max
Collie, Rod Mason’s Hot Five , Laurie Chescoe’s Reunion Band,  & Dave
Moorwood’s Rascals of Rhythm are the welcome additions to my regular
Jazz Company.

Dance classes with the uniquely gifted JiveSwing.com team will show you
how to Lindy, Jive and Charleston.

Prices start at £149 pp based on 2 persons sharing.
Full programme details here:
http://www.traditional-jazz.com/mainpages/pakefield.htm
Colour Brochure here:
http://www.traditional-jazz.com/mainpages/documents/pontinsbrochure010.pdf