[Dixielandjazz] Brubeck is Back

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 29 08:25:50 PST 2010

For those of us who remember the impact Dave Brubeck had on jazz when
we were kids in high school or college. Do you remember how we
gathered in each others houses or dorm rooms to listen to the quartet?
Or seeing them perform? I will never forget seeing them at Basin
Street East in NYC over 50 years ago. Or seeing him a decade later in
Oakland California at his house which was just a few steps from the
one my wife and I were renting. The man is a national treasure.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Brubeck’s Back, Conserving Resources

By NATE CHINEN - NY TIMES - NOV 29, 2010

Dave Brubeck made his way to the Blue Note stage with apparent effort
on Friday, the first night of a sold-out weekend run. “My doctors told
me I’m rushing things,” he said, a little breathlessly, once he had
reached the piano bench. He didn’t go on to explain that he had
undergone heart surgery in October, when he received a pacemaker, or
that a handful of other concert dates had been postponed. He was back
and eager to proceed, and that was what mattered, judging by the
ensuing clatter of grateful applause.

This was already shaping up to be a commemorative season for Mr.
Brubeck. He’s the subject of a documentary, “In His Own Sweet Way,”
scheduled to run on Turner Classic Movies next Monday — his 90th
birthday — after its premiere on Saturday at Lincoln Center. (The
film’s executive producer is Clint Eastwood, honorary board chairman
of the Brubeck Institute at the University of the Pacific.) His
stylish Columbia Records output has been repackaged for two new boxed
sets and a two-CD compilation. And “The Definitive Dave Brubeck on
Fantasy, Concord Jazz, and Telarc” features both older and more recent
material, concluding with a track recorded by his current working band.

Mr. Brubeck’s steady work with that band, featuring the alto
saxophonist Bobby Militello, the bassist Michael Moore and the drummer
Randy Jones, has long proposed a commemorative agenda of its own.
Friday’s performance was characteristic, opening with a Duke Ellington
medley and moving on to a blend of originals and standards that
effectively spanned Mr. Brubeck’s career.“Take Five” was the
obligatory finale, spiced up with Christmas-music quotations and a
climactic drum solo.

The band was brisk, if a bit businesslike, throughout the set. Mr.
Moore bowed a handful of graceful solos and otherwise laid a stalwart
but supple foundation, syncing easily with Mr. Jones. On the front
line Mr. Militello barreled through his solos with boppish aplomb,
phrasing just slightly ahead of the beat. At times, as on “Someday My
Prince Will Come,” the three sidemen ventured out with no piano,
pushing into modal territory.

Their best efforts, though, were framed by Mr. Brubeck’s
accompaniment. Long before his recent medical leave, he had softened
his pianism, replacing the old hammer-and-anvil attack with something
almost airy. Here he often held his fingers splayed flat against the
keys, barely touching his sustain pedal. His playing was the picture
of judicious clarity, its well-placed chordal accents suggesting a
riffing horn section.

And in one of the set’s finer stretches he stirred up a gentle rustle,
as if to renounce percussivism altogether. It was the second movement
of “Dialogues for Jazz Combo and Orchestra”, composed by his brother
Howard Brubeck and originally recorded with Leonard Bernstein.

Mr. Brubeck stated the melody unaccompanied, fluid and florid, before
the ensemble shifted into medium swing for a solo by Mr. Militello.
What followed was a contrapuntal piano-bass interlude, then Mr.
Brubeck alone again. He smiled to himself as he brought the theme
home, a captain firmly steering into port.

Dave Brubeck performs on Friday at the Tarrytown Music Hall in
Tarrytown, N.Y.; tarrytownmusichall.org.