[Dixielandjazz] Record Company Screw-ups

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 23 19:35:55 PST 2010

Jazz artists didn't usually capitilize in record sales anyway. Often they were completely sold out of their rights for something like 20 dollar for a session.See Billy Holidays great record with Wilson.

Big record companies kept the big money themselves and made a lot of deals that were pretty unfair to the artists they said to represent.In fact they represented themselves and made slaves of many artists with exclusive deals that were not so good for the artists.At least the hot fives were lucky enough to have recorded a lot of original compositions, so they got composers rights years after they were made.But they had to fight for that as well. Take the daughter of Kid Ory who went to court for a hit based on Muskrat Ramble.The judge said that musically see was right, but was to late to claim and got nothing. Although that never was written in the law books.Later companies even started to buy out these composers rights as well.
Don't fight the internet, use it. Don't be like Don Quichot, fighting windmills.
I sold dozens of CDs and DVDs of our band thanks to youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lcuLupqjmw
On the other hand, it is not unlikely that without the record industry, jazz history never would have been written.In classical music, people learned from studying scores.But how do you learn from some New Orleans improvising trumpet hero if you are unable to repeated listening to his masterworks?
Kind regards,
Bert Brandsma