[Dixielandjazz] Struttin w/some BBQ

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 20 13:41:35 PST 2010

On Nov 20, 2010, at 3:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> From: Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> "Jess" wrote
>
> Anton Crouch wrote [in part]:
>> the issue ..... is Armstrong's metamorphosis into the "great
>> soloist" at the expense of the ensemble. Armstrong is brilliant on
>> all 6 sides from December 1927 but the other four players give the
>> impression of just going through their paces. Also, does anyone
>> think that adding Lonnie Johnson to the group improves it?
>> When Armstrong returned to the studio in June 1928, things were
>> different - Ory, Dodds, Hardin and St Cyr were gone and he was in
>> the company of Earl Hines. Brilliant, yes, but is it art?  :-)
>
> Dear Anton,
> After reading the above, Bill retired to his bed with an attack of
> near-apoplexy with the doona pulled over his head.
> He is still and bed, refusing breakfast and mumbling something about
> "Barbone, yes, but not Anton."
> I am sure that when he recovers from the shock, he will reply to
> your outrageous denigration of the Armstrong Hot Five records.
> Even I know how great they were, after being force-fed the music
> from when Bill started taking me out when I was only sweet sixteen.
> With love and best wishes,
> Jess [Haesler]

Dear Jess:

When Bill re-emerges from his doona cocoon, please tell him that I
never found anything Armstrong did so unworthy  as to suffer the
slings and arrows of Anton's denigration. From Hot 5 to Blueberry
Hill, it is all art in my ears.  <grin>

Cheers and Best wishes to Bill for a speedy recovery.

Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband