[Dixielandjazz] : Brubeck's 90th birthday--and another important 90th.

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Fri Nov 19 20:37:41 PST 2010

To: DJML & Musicians & Jazzfans list

From:  Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Trumpeter Mike Vax, director of the Kenton Alumni Band writes.

Clark Terry's 90th birthday will be on December 14.  Mike will supply us
with Clark's mailing address for any who send him a card of well wishes.

Thanks, Mike.

From: vaxtrpts [mailto:vaxtrpts at aol.com]

Subject: Re: Brubeck's 90th birthday--and another important 90th.

I love Dave Brubeck.  He is a true innovator and a great person.  He has
been a crusader for Jazz Education as well as jazz music.  He has been
honored by our country.
There is someone I love at least as much as Dave, who in my estimation has
never really gotten the accolades that he deserves.  Yes he did get a
lifetime Grammy last year and has had many other honors bestowed on him, but
he still isn't known as well as he should be, by the "general public."  I am
talking about Clark Terry.
He turns 90 on December 14th.  There are no TV or radio shows about the
event, and even most jazz fans will not know about the date.  We are having
a small party for him at his home, with friends and family to celebrate.
For me, there are two jazz musicians who stand out in my mind as really
important early jazz educators who were also known performers.  They are
Stan Kenton and Clark Terry.  Both of these men saw early on, that the
secret to keeping jazz music alive is to get the the young people.
I have done over 2500 clinics over the past 40 years, so I know what goes
into communicating with young people.  Clark Terry is the best communicator
to young musicians that I have ever seen.
I hope that all on this list will think about him on his birthday.  Hey
Norman - would it be appropriate for me to give Clark's mailing address for
people to send him birthday cards?  If so, I will do that in a subsequent
message.
Mike Vax