[Dixielandjazz] Happy Birthday Nov 10

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 07:35:49 PST 2010

I hope that DJML members all realize that this is the celebrated
arranger/conductor and not Billy Mays, the pitchman for Oxiclean and all
kinds of overpriced household crap

Incidentally, I recently came across a CD entitled "The Glenn Miller
Orchestra Lives Forever" that was recorded in 1977 under the direction of
Jimmy Henderson

Billy, who had played trumpet with GM in the early 40s, returned to arrange
a coupla numbers on it as well as contribute his own compositon, "Front Page
Rag".

Also, Jerry Gray  wrote his final arrangement for Stoller & Leiber's "Kansas
City" much in the same style as he had for "Kalamazoo".many years earlier.

Besides the superior sound quality, the other fine feature of CDs is that we
have in most instances, returned to the liner notes so familiar to us during
the LP days, which were seldom found during the years that audio cassettes
were prevalent (and of course impossible during the short run of 8-tracks)

--
Suppose you were an idiot
Suppose you were a member of Congress