[Dixielandjazz] James Moody

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 5 19:29:36 PDT 2010

Very sorry to hear the lovely old madman is not well.
As regards chemotherapy, there was a wonderful film on YouTube with Danny Moss
saying why he had changed his mind -  rather surreal to see Danny as he looked
then telling a young guy, "I'm eighty"  and very like the man to produce such an
encouraging thing.

I was chatting to my old friend Dick Lee after a splendid gig by Ken Mathieson'd
CJO and Dick asked the people running the venue what the music was on the tannoy
-- not the sort of music to chase people out, either, unless of a restricted
interest, Dick was sure the flautist couldn't be Herbie Mann because everything
was in tune.  It was Mooody....
Who subsequently became the supreme octogenarian soprano saxophonist

I do recall him in the mid-1960s boggling everybody with a deadpan delivery of
modal figures -- rather than a proper jazz solo -- on BBC's Jazz 625. Only when
I saw a re-run decades later did I realise this was not the then latest thing
but subversive parody. Moody could do the Coltrane thing Danny later campaigned
against, and deliberately make no sense..

Great madman too ---  in a Dixxy Gillespie ensemble full of Latin Americans
Moody began his solo features with a pretence to coming from south of the
border,  Tarara del Fugueo to judge from his glorious gabble -- and then with
more non-PC antics and high camp and falsetto he went into a mock-ballad,

"I love you because you make me feel so (pause to modulate into bellowed
fortissimo:   STRRRRRRRONGGGGGG

a great believer in the insanity cause
for which he deserves everybody's love!