[Dixielandjazz] The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain

Allan Brown allanbrown at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Nov 4 09:16:38 PDT 2010

Thanks for that Steve,

My brother caught them playing here in the UK just last week. He said it was a fantastic evening, with the highlight being the audience sing-a-long to "Anarchy in the UK" - sung joyfully by many folk that would have been shocked and appalled when the original song came out. My brother described it as "the perfect subversive English sing-a-long".

My personal favourite is their rendition of Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights". I loved the original but I love this even more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF0VaBxb27w&feature=related

Last week down the road from me, the sleepy town of Worthing held their annual ukulele festival which had a great line up. Unfortunately I couldn't make it, but will definitely keep the diary free for next year's offering. Their website has some good free on-line ukulele simple songbooks that the club have put together for their players that I recommend downloading, there's a song for every occasion.

http://www.wukulele.com/

There seems to have been a great ukulele revival here in the UK over the last few years.  Jumping aboard the bandwagon, I've abandoned the guitar in favour of the uke, it's the perfect portable good vibe instrument.

Cheers,

Allan