[Dixielandjazz] Red Blanchard

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Nov 2 13:08:33 PDT 2010

Any one about my age who lived on the West Coast might remember Red Blanchard.  He had a radio show for teenagers in the 1950s that was crazy.  He was syndicated in LA, SF and Sacramento.  Perhaps other markets also, not sure.

He was the first to use an echo machine and used to give people a Bully.  He did dumb skits.  When soda first came out in cans, he had everyone send him the empty cans and he built a tower out of them.

Red did many other things in radio over the years, including being a CBS staff announcer.

Red is 89 now and lives in, or near San Diego.  He has been a good friend of mine for years.

Here is part of an email from him.  Thought some of you might enjoy listening to the music.

There are a lot of other interesting things on his web sites.

*******

Well I stumbled across an old tape of a series of 'remote' broadcasts from 1948,
mostly from the Somerset House in Riverside.  Some of these musicians are funny,
yet, at the same time, real musicians.
Some are totally great jazz players.  Probably mostly dead by now. Too bad.  The
junk they play today can't hold a candle to these guys...
www.redblanchard.com/Remotes.mp3

*******

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com