[Dixielandjazz] Larry's remark about Jim's remark about Beth'sremark.....

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun May 30 01:56:53 PDT 2010

Sometimes it doesn't happen.  There is another young guy about 16 who practices like mad, reads very well and is very good at improv.  His teacher is a prominent player here and is a zillion note guy.  Naturally the kid tries to do what his teacher does and he's not bad at it at all.

A couple of us old guys have started coaching him.  I played with his grandfather on gigs in the 60's and his dad for the past 15 years.  He soaks everything up like a sponge.  One trouble is that one of the guys hasn't a clue about a lot of things and we have to sort of re write over what he has been told.  It isn't often that a young kid listens to what you say and tries things to see how they fit.  He is now playing regularly with two of the big bands because we spread his name around as a player.  He is now playing with real style and understands the difference between various styles and time periods of jazz.

Last week my friend Herb, told me. with some excitement, that the kid played the tenor solo in "In The Mood" not only correctly but improved on it.

Last year I coached him on the music for the district honor concert band and he made it.   This year he got a chair in the state Jazz band.

This particular kid makes his own complements and politely says thanks if someone complements him.  He has the sense to know when he played well or not and this isn't damaging him at all because he looks to that inner sense of self worth.

The young lady I was talking about will become a fine legit player but no matter how much her dad wants her to be a jazzer it just won't happen and fawning over her will just lead her down a path.
Larry
StL