[Dixielandjazz] Adding Youthful members / or audiences

Phil Wilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Wed May 26 14:54:54 PDT 2010

Sounds very similar to what I read about Lu Watters in the late 1930's.

He was playing his interpretations of King Oliver type tunes to packed
houses of college kids while the other bands were wandering off into bee-bop
never-never land. The other band leaders complained to him about how
old-fashioned his band was and generally said "Why don't you play what we
play?"

His answer (to paraphrase) was: I am playing what I like and filling the
place; you are playing your stuff to empty houses. I think I'll keep on
doing things my way.

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.