[Dixielandjazz] Adding youthful Members

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed May 26 13:32:52 PDT 2010

The trend in all solos no matter what the style is tempo de tearass.  The
faster you play the more claps you get and that's not only from the
audience.  People seem to want to hear musical gymnastics rather than tasty
stuff.

A couple of the groups here are known for their "faster than anyone else"
tunes and they are making money.

The concert mentality started in the late 60's and people quit dancing.  Yes
they did stand and gyrate like strippers but formal dances were out.

When I was young (dark ages) the best thing in the world was a belly rubber
but that just isn't the case any more.

Like you, I like taste over speed and you may be right about the tempos
played.  They really aren't dance tempos.

There is another thing - playing slow tempos requires more musicianship than
wiggling your fingers fast.  IMO a slow tune is much harder to bring off and
make sound good because you start needing to phrase, play in tune, use
dynamics and all the other musical things that make a solo nice.  Did you
ever notice that a lot of those things are missing in the typical solo
played at fast speeds.

Last Memorial day I did a big band concert.  The lead alto player played the
first dozen or so bars of Amazing Grace by himself on Soprano before the
band came in.  This was a 20+ year member of an AF band and he absolutely
knocked it out of the ball park.  Not one clap from the audience.  Too bad
it was one of the best Soprano solos I have ever heard.

Maybe if he had only played it at 240.
Larry