[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland to quell riots by

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri May 21 16:34:33 PDT 2010

Stephen G Barbone wrote:
> Here's a new reason to hire Dixieland Bands. "Music hath powers to soothe the savage breast." Especially, OKOM.
Then included a Canadian sports report.

Dear Steve,
That one reminded me of a New Year's day experience in the early 1950s when my band was retuning to Melbourne after attending an Australian Jazz Convention in Adelaide.
While our steam train was standing at a railway station another train slammed into the back of it and derailed our last two carriages.
(We were in the third last one).
Several people were injured and it was pandemonium for a while.
Ever resourceful, I set up our band on the platform to provide some jazz to calm the shaken passengers.
We were halfway though our first number when the stationmaster thundered up yelling "Shut up that bloody noise, we're in enough trouble as it is."
8>)
Kind regards,
Bill.