[Dixielandjazz] CDs

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu May 20 15:05:35 PDT 2010

Hello folks,
Our recent purchase from the GHB Foundation has proven excellent!
Ray Skjelbred and His Cubs - tha band - has already been mentioned on
hthe list, and the Cd thereof on Jazzology is wonderful.
Red Balaban Hot Club, with Jack Maheu on clarinet is almost as good.

I do not think Fank Chace should require an comments, but
unfortunately he is by far not as well known as he deserves.  True,
reminiscent of Pee Wee Russell, but that surely is a compliment on
this list.  The Chicago Loopers Featuring Frank Chace, recorded in
1987, is a wonderful recording, even if Frank Chace often sounds
either undermiked or under recorded.  But given the circumstances of
the recording (amayeur), the results are commendable.  I have never
heard Tom Pletcher sound as good!

Art Hodes All Star Stompers was a secure bet, what with Tony Parenti,
in excellent form, on clarinet,  Charlie Borneman on trombone and
Cliff leeman on drums.  Larry Conger acquits himself well on trumpet.
A great buy.

And last - not least - the Wild Bill Davison Centennial Concert held
in 2006.  Perhaps the vey best of the bunch.  Leon Oakley souds so
much like Wild Bill!  The announcement are given as separate tracks,
so using the "skip" or "program" function makes it possible to hear
music only.

All highly recommended - and our money makes it possible to coninue
issuing more of those wonderful records!

Perhaps I should mention that I asked the GHB people to put birthday
greetings attached to the check in the package.  They graciously
obliged, and I received a very excited thank you telephone call from
the States.

Cheers