[Dixielandjazz] Pianist Hank Jones Obit

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon May 17 14:47:35 PDT 2010

So sorry to have learnt of Hank Jones' death!

Unlike his younger brothers, he was squarely rooted in swinging,
melodic jazz.  and had good swing big band experience.
One of the most stirring performances I heard at the 1983 North Sea
Jazz Festival was by Hank Jones.  When the show was over, I stayed for
the next one - and still loved it!  And love the tapes I made there to
this day.
In addition to his many accompanying jobs, Hank Jones issued two duet
LPs with Tommy Flanagan - Our Delights and More Delights (I believe
both to ahve been reissued on CD), and the charming Evening with Two
Grand Pianos with John Lewis (the latter not usually an OKOM player);
I admit I find one number on the last one boring, and never play it
anymore, but the rest was well worth the price of admission.
One of the best there were!
Blessed be his memory.  Luckily, we still have the records.
Cheers