[Dixielandjazz] Did anyone get an email from Mike Henebry asking for emer...

W1AB at aol.com W1AB at aol.com
Sat May 15 18:01:06 PDT 2010

Hello, Elazar,

    That is a common e-mail scam story at  the moment.  It's interesting
that, although I receive dozens of scam  messages a day, I had NOT received
any with that tale of woe.

    I often reply to the scam  messages.  Sometimes I play along and get
them occupied with me for weeks  at a time.  One time I told them I owned a
crayfish farm in East Texas and  I needed the money they were offering me to
expand the farm.  That went on  for weeks, and the scammer got very annoyed
with me before he gave  up.

    Only this week, I send my other kind  of reply to one scammer -- a
cartoon of a rabbit that says "It's cute how stupid  you are."  I received an
irate reply to that one.  He said I had  "insulted his personality."

    The scammers have software that  generates random e-mail addresses, so
they will eventually hit virtually  everyone with their silly messages.

    One of my friends, a former US Secret  Service Agent, has told me that
scamming is a major industry in Nigeria, with  many, many schools teaching
people how to scam the gullible via e-mail, mail,  and telephone.  It's
difficult to see how anyone would fall for their  outrageous stories and send
them money, but some people do....

    About 12 years ago a bunch of  Nigerians worked at the gas station at
the north end of the Garden State  Parkway.  If a customer paid with cash,
they would profess to have no coin  change, scamming a few cents here and
there --penny-ante, by  definition!

    Welcome to the club,  Elazar!

                                                    Shalom,    Al B.

In a message dated 5/15/2010 3:40:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,