[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed May 12 16:07:15 PDT 2010

Hello folks,
Once again I put my money where my mouth is and went to hear the Swing
de Gitanes, with a guest Gypsy guitarist Lulu Reinhardt, a grand
nephew of Django Reinhardt.  As usual, they gave a rousing
performance.
I am always amazed by their basist.  He plays as if he were playing a
guitar; unlike in bass jokes, people sit quietly during his solos!

Which reminds me of days long gone, when Willie Dixon (double bass)
played in a Jaffa club in the early 1960's with Memphis Slim.  Dixon,
who was huge, sometimes hekd the double bass like a guitar!
Cheers