[Dixielandjazz] Who Influenced Lester Young?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon May 10 03:15:10 PDT 2010

Even people with most original voices were/have been influenced by
somebody when they started.
Bud Freeman was certainly influenced by jazz hea heard in Chicago,
apparently mainly by Creole clarinet players (at the time, there were
hardly any jazz saxophonists of note, and his style was a far cry of
that of the dean of jazz saxophonists, Coleman Hawkins).
I was not trying to detract from Young's originality - his saxophone
style is so disticntive as to be almost always recognized at any
"blindfold tests" during our jazz evenings (although Vice Prez has
been mistaken for Prez himself).

On 10 May 2010 02:49, Stephen G Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On May 9, 2010, at 5:19 PM, Marek Boym wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> This is a well known story.
>> Nevertheless, I am always happy to re-read a black jazz giant praising
>> my all-time favourite tenor player.
>>
>> But close listening seems to indicate another source as well: the
>> Creole clarinet players.  This is more conspicuous in Young's clarinet
>> playing, but is reflected in his tenor sax playing as well.
>> Cheers
>>
>> On 9 May 2010 17:08, Stephen G Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> From an interview with Nat Hentoff of Downbeat 3/7/56. Pres talks about
>>> his
>>> influencers and then gives some advice to aspiring players.
>>>

>>> "I've been playing music ever since I was 10. I started on the drums, but
>>> it
>>> was too much trouble to carry the traps. So I switched to alto. Frankie
>>> Trumbauer and Jimmy Dorsey were battling for honors in those days, and I
>>> finally found out that I liked Trumbauer. Trumbauer was my idol. When I
>>> had
>>> just started to play, I used to buy all his records. I imagine I can
>>> still
>>> play all those solos off the record. He played the C melody saxophone. I
>>> tried to get the sound of a C melody on a tenor. That's why I don't sound
>>> like other people. Trumbauer always told a little story. And I liked the
>>> way
>>> he slurred the notes. He'd play the melody first and then after that,
>>> he'd
>>> play around the melody. I did like Bud Freeman very much. Nobody played
>>> like
>>> him. That's what knocked me out. I remember when he was with Benny