[Dixielandjazz] Stan Kenton, Comment by Mike Vax

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Mon May 3 08:35:43 PDT 2010

I have my pre-publication copy of this book, as I am in it.  It is truly the best
book written about Stan, his music and his band.
I do have one comment.  It is horrible that the reviewer put this book into ANY comparison
with Carol Easton's Book.  That book was a travesty.  She came on the bus, saying
she wanted to write a meaningful book, and all it was was "The National Enquirer
of the Road."  There were many misquotes, fabrications and taking of things completely
out of context.  It was SO bad that Stan refused to autograph copies of it from the
time that it came out until the day he died.
Michael Sparke was a close friend and confidant of Stanley, and Stan would have LOVED
this new book.  It really says it as it is and was, but does so with real clarity
and respect!
Mike Vax

--Bob Ringwald
Amateur (ham) Radio call sign K6YBV
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/806-9551

Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected expected?