[Dixielandjazz] FW: Emmett Berry

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Sat May 1 02:04:33 PDT 2010

Some wonderfull recordings with Emmett Berry that I can highly recommend to anyone are with Horace Henderson's band, recorded in 1940.They are excellent in many aspects. The arrangements are highly original, esp. the voicings for the saxes.Very tight band, loose swing, with great blending horn sections.Also in the trumpet section on the first 8 tracks is Ray Nance (And soloing fine on the violin) , before he joined Duke Ellington.Berry is the star of the trumpet section though.
Excellent big band swing music, totally different from all other bands, including brother Fletcher Henderson.
Kind regards,
Bert Brandsmawww.dixielandcrackerjacks.com

Actually this isn't about that garment doubtless of fascinating colour (undisclosed by black and white telly) but about the trumpeter I hadn't seen before, other than in a music-reading sessionman capacity with Gil Evans and Miles Davis: Emmett Berry.  Arguably Berry played the greatest of all trumpet solos recorded in the 1940s. The label was SAVOY and I thought Bill Haesler would have fun telling us the name of the track.It's not a long solo, but ...    Yikes! thanks for the links o peerless benefactor who passed on the links!!!!