[Dixielandjazz] How Many John Thomases?

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Wed Mar 31 17:51:39 PDT 2010

You guys are talking about maybe two John Thomases and I have a question.    In the 1980's I played about 6 happy weekends with Merle Koch's group at the Silver Stope in Virginia City, NV.   The trumpeter was John Thomas, a good mc, singer, and player -- and a very fine gentleman.    When cancer caught up with Merle, John went away.   The last time I saw him was in the '90's at Clearwater, FLA at the festival.

Is he the same John Thomas as all of those other guys?    I wonder if they're all related to John Charles Thomas or the famous and beautiful Thomas Flyer?     Or the Thomas For The Tommies?

Bob Newman