[Dixielandjazz] Sweet Fields

Ken Gates kwg28 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 28 07:36:55 PDT 2010

I'm trying to track down when and where "Sweet Fields" was
introduced into the trad jazz songlist.  I assume a hymn source.
The earliest recording I can find is the Eureka Brass Band in the
mid 1950s.  I found only one mention on a Ken Colyer recording
of 1957.  A google search of black gospel makes reference to a
hymn of Isaac Watts (early 1700s vintage) with the words  "Sweet
Fields". in it ---but I can find no hymn with the title of "Sweet Fields"
I can only conjecture that Ken Colyer brought it to the trad jazz scene
when he returned from his adventure in New Orleans.

Anybody have information?

Ken Gates