[Dixielandjazz] There goes the Robert E. Lee...

Beth Schweitzer beth at portafortuna.com
Wed Mar 24 06:05:24 PDT 2010

Yes - very sad. We saw the photo on the front page and nearly cried. I
was hoping it was on its way to a new life. That was a great venue for
OKOM in its day. I remember watching the band in '93 (it was the Old St.
Louis Levee Band I believe - another one of Jeannie's) and looked out to
see half the cars parked on the levee up to their floorboards in water
as the flooded Mississippi came surging down from the north. One guy ran
out, opened his driver side door on the high side, and water poured out
of his car.

To lose John Becker and the Robert E. Lee so close to each other is
quite unnerving. Thank goodness Red Lehr is still going strong!

Cheers,
Beth