[Dixielandjazz] Australian Jazz ~ Enlightenment ~ Crash Course!

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Mon Mar 22 15:55:49 PDT 2010

Richard Flecknell wrote:-
> Just this moment finished the programs from Jazz Rhythm featuring some
> Australian Jazz. Ken Mitchell sent an mp3 to listen to of Ken Flannery.
> I have an Ade Monsborough Swaggie lp and couple of Graeme Bell's too, and
> the recordings of Humph and Bell band members in London. Also a Southern
> Jazz Group lp (not too fond of) and Steve Waddell playing Along The Road
> To Gundagai. That's about it.
>
> I need enlightening.

You sure do Richard, but a crash course is not the way to go, and I
certainly can't spare the time to try it. There's a whole library of books
on aspects of Australian jazz by people such as Graeme Bell, Dick Hughes,
John Sangster, Bruce Johnson and Andrew Bissett. I have had published three
discographies of Aussie jazz recordings up to about 2000, and a new one is
in the pipeline.

There are also many great Australian jazz compositions. Currently available
is a double CD of Graeme Bell's compositions (Newmarket NEW3254.2) and the
Australian, Victorian and South Australian Jazz Archives have published many
CDs of historic Oz jazz. You can look them up on the web.

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell