[Dixielandjazz] Wild Bill and a Beatle

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 19 15:01:46 PDT 2010

I think it was during the same monologue on film that Bill Davison reminisced about illegal drinking, but he said that his future after becoming unable to blow the horn was in growing his hair long, and following rapid progress in technique mastering the banjolele and setting forth on a new career as the oldest hillbilly . . . . .

Those who have seen him, flagon in hand (Falstaff destillatus) on the film may remember him climaxing all those references to ersatz booze with the mock-existential cry

"WHY AM I STILL HERE?  Jeez, when I think of all that stuff I swallowed   ....!!!."

And of course the earlier late George Harrison's lung cancer did suggest that the harmlessness of marijuana had been overstated.  The stuff written and said in its favour tended almost to anthropomorphise it, as if saying that Pot is a nice fellow,  who will do you  no harm.   Just like the rhyme about little pussy

I have no comment to offer on lotsa pussy

Rrrr