[Dixielandjazz] Trumpeters of all Shapes, Sizes and Styles

Charles Kercher ekercher at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Mar 17 18:18:58 PDT 2010

I last heard Dave Jones with the Bob Crosby band when Ed Metz was still with
us. He was and still is a great player. I've been following this thread with
much interest because conversations and interest about these great horn
players is a heart beat of mine and also because of a recent project of
mine.
The project is trying to excite some interest in a great jazz cornet
player's career, his playing, and his present situation. Although he is not
well known he has played and recorded with such artists as Peanuts Hucko,
Bob Havens, Nick Fatool, Abe Most, Bill Allred, and I could go on and on.
Also over his 40 years of living as a purist lover and great practitioner of
the art, he played and recorded with an untold number of great players--not
well known--up and down the coasts of Florida as well as similar places and
persons around the country.
In the last couple of years he has suffered some heavy hits with his health.
While not playing he has put together recordings from all these years and
with all these great players. Twenty three CDs--320 tunes--none repeated.
All these CDs were put together laboriously at home.
He originally assembled these recording as a set that he named "Punch's
Archives." He sold a couple of sets to fans and another couple of sets to
North Florida U.  Given his situation I suggested to him that he sell
individual CDs, and one of my ideas about an approach was to acquaint DJML
with the project. My efforts in this phase have been notable by the absence
of any response to my listings.
In addition to John's health hits he recently came home from attending a
jazz concert with some friends to find the fire department around his house
because of an electrical fire that had started while he was gone. NO
INSURANCE
In recent days another jazz great (although not a player),Gunnar Jacobsen,
has listed some of John's recordings on his great jazz
site---www.puppyjazz.com. A listing by myself about this occurence has also
been ignored. I am going to blame myself for this lack of interest on the
part of this newslist but I will really love any response. Chuck Kercher