[Dixielandjazz] Clyde Hurley

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Tue Mar 16 13:33:05 PDT 2010

An accordion-player friend of mine is a total and absolute fan of Ruby
Braff and has acquired nearly every Cd of his recordings and has spent
hours listening to his phrasing and style.  She phones me up and says
that she has discovered another player who, to her at least, has a
quality to his playing that sounds amazingly like Braff.  I listened to
the recording over the phone and, myself being a Braff fan, think I'd
have to largely agree with her.

Here's the amazing thing about her discovery - - -the trumpet player
was Clyde Hurley, performing a solo on a recording with Matty Matlock.
The tune is "What's the Use".  Man is it played "hot" !!

  Here's the Question:  What can anyone tell us about Clyde Hurley, and
can we find more of of his solos on other available recordings?

Bill Sharp