[Dixielandjazz] Trumpeter of all Shapes, Sizes and Styles

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Mon Mar 15 08:59:08 PDT 2010

Hi Folks,

Can I throw in a few names? Duke Heitger, Don Goldie (Jack Teagarden's trumpeter for many years, whose playing had remarkable fluency, although a few spaces now and again wouldn't have gone amiss!), Bill Coleman (Benny Carter's favourite trumpeter), Benny Carter (he said if he got to start all over again, he'd concentrate on trumpet, not sax), Doc Cheatham, Emmett Berry (now almost forgotten), Buck Clayton (of whom Art Farmer once said, when asked about unfulfilled ambitions: "yea, I never heard Buck Clayton play a bad note!", Jack Sheldon, Sweets Edison, Jonah Jones, Clark Terry. The list could be just about endless, but every one of them owed a huge debt to Louis Armstrong, as do we all whether we play an instrument or just love jazz.

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk