[Dixielandjazz] Bobby Hackett

artwoo artwoo at aol.com
Sun Mar 14 11:40:19 PDT 2010

Hi Folks: A recent post from Stan Brager listed a few trumpet players who stand out.  My vote goes to Bobby Hackett. I never get tired of listening to him.

I can't locate the exact quote, but I am fairly certain that Louis Armstrong said that Bobby was his favorite Trumpet player, so that goes a long way in establishing Bobby's standing in the trumpet ranks.

A favorite Bobby Hackett album of mine is the "Jazz Ultimate/Coast Concert" An added bonus to this album is the interplay between Jack Teagarden and Abe Lincoln. I think Abe wins the battle with his soaring punctuated phrases.

Another album series is the "Live at Roosevelt Grill" series with Bobby and Vic Dickenson. The interplay between Bobby and Vic along with the tasty background of Dave McKenna makes this album series as good as it gets IMHO.

I also like Bob Barnard whose playing exhibits some of the same qualities as Bobby Hackett's.

Regards,
Art Wood