[Dixielandjazz] George Webb Tribute on BBC Radio

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Sun Mar 14 08:23:44 PDT 2010

Sad to hear about dear George.

I worked with him on many occasions and he will be missed.

A thoroughly nice man, George appeared at many of my festivals over the
past few years.

I have put a modest tribute on the website:
www.traditional-jazz.com

There are a couple of tracks from our CD "An Evening With George Webb"
recorded in 2004 at Old Harlow - "Weary Blues" and a spoken track of
George talking about his historic recording session with Sidney Bechet
in 1949 included.

George told me at the the that he hadn't recorded since 1951 and I'm not
aware of any other CD made later than this.

Paul Barnes paid tribute to George and his old Lyttelton band mate Ian
Christie, who also recently died, tonight in the Late Paul Barnes.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p006n7qy
Paul played a selection of George's tracks both with Humph and the
Dixielanders. He also played Ol Miss from the above CD.
It would be nice to hear a tribute on BBC Radio 2.

Also heard about the passing of guitarist Nevil Skrimshire - a nice
fellow and a swinging rhythm player.
He also had impeccable taste - whilst working for EMI he tured down a
demo by the Rolling Stones and told Jagger he couldn't sing!

--
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com