[Dixielandjazz] Making a Living in Jazz was D'Amico

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 10 19:03:26 PST 2010

> <richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com> wrote (polite snip)
>

> Hank D'Amico can also be found on the four Jess Stacy Varsity tracks
> from 1939 (Jazz On Line Com).
>
> Homes of the jazz greats ~ thanks Steve.  I see they didn't do too
> bad professionally playing Jazz back then.

Thanks Richard. It got tough for many musicians to make a decent
living in jazz, at least in New York City, in the 1960s. After Elvis
and the Folk Singers took hold. Even guys like Coleman Hawkins were
having a hard time trying to keep their standard of living anywhere
near what it had been in earlier decades. I posted the below on
another jazz list about one of my encounters with Coleman Hawkins, who
by 1961 was scrambling for gigs that were paying him less.

Plus, as good a musician as he was, there were not many black
musicians in the studio bands back then so he did not have the
monetary fall back that guys like D'Amico did.

Dixieland did provide a living for several bands at several clubs, but
it too was declining in both audience and gig money. Most jazz
musicians that I knew were either supplementing by playing in studio
bands, or by playing any type of musical gig that came along.

. . . .

Dear Norm:

I fortunate enough to play a couple of gigs with Coleman Hawkins in
1960-61. The most memorable being when he appeared with the
Southampton Dixie Racing and Clambake Society Jazz Band on September
3, 1961 at The Hampton Arts Theater in Westhampton, Long Island, NY. I
was the clarinet player in that band back then.

He drove100 miles from from NYC, in his brand new Chrysler 300 (or
Imperial) to be with us that night. He was indeed royalty and I was
very intimidated to be along side the guy who defined the roll of the
Tenor Saxophone in jazz. He couldn't have been nicer and played
beautifully in a band that was New Orleans Jazz oriented during the
revival in those years. He knew all the tunes, even requesting "The
Chant". No charts, all head stuff. Great session, which the SRO
audience loved. Even though we struggled a bit backing him on "Body
and Soul" which was an audience request, he just played it beautifully
and complimented us as if we were a studio orchestra.

I asked him about his years with Fletcher Henderson and Louis
Armstrong and while he spoke about the Henderson Band, deflected all
questions about Armstrong. I suspect maybe they didn't get along too
well but that is only an opinion.

I still have the poster for that gig. The admission fee was $1.80
which included a movie after the concert. I think he was paid $50 or
maybe $100, and the rest of us got $25. Made me reconsider my budding
career as a jazz musician vs. getting a day job for if he was
struggling to earn a living in the 1960s, what chance was there for me
to earn a good living playing jazz? A year later, I got married,
stopped playing entirely and devoted myself to a day gig and raising a
family. Luckily, my wife convinced me to start playing again in the
1990s when I retired from that day gig.

I remember him in addition to being a GREAT musician as being very
intelligent and a class guy in every respect. Coleman Hawkins, RIP,
you were one of the greatest and I was both lucky and fortunate to
have worked a few gigs with you.

. . . .

Cheers,
Steve Barbone