[Dixielandjazz] Spanish Tinge ~ WC Handy

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Wed Mar 10 14:41:39 PST 2010

Richard Flecknell wrote:

> Morton wasn't the only composer using the Spanish Tinge ~ was Handy's Ole
> Miss a stab in that direction? (I can't hear it though!). I believe a
> printing typo meant that Handy never received his due.

Louis Moreau Gottschalk  - pianist and composer born in New Orleans in
1829 - may have been the first American composer to employ the "Spanish
tinge". He also used American folk music as an inspiration, in such tunes as
THE BANJO. Obviously he was not a jazz pianist but with his attitude and
life style he certainly would have fitted into the jazz scene had it then
existed. Some of his tunes I believe could be treated as jazz, and THE
PEANUT VENDOR is said to have been derived from one of his compositions.

His autobiography NOTES OF A PIANIST is an interesting read. And GOOGLE will
take you to meny Gottschalk sites.

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell